Dental damage can cause pain, embarrassment, and can even put the teeth at risk of further damage including tooth loss. Fortunately, restorative dentistry treatments can repair damage and improve dental appearance. For Frisco patients, porcelain crowns are a leading restorative dentistry treatment. Read on to learn about the many benefits of porcelain crowns.
What Are Porcelain Crowns?
Porcelain crowns are tooth-shaped restorations designed to completely encapsulate damaged or cosmetically imperfect teeth. Porcelain crowns are used to protect vulnerable teeth from further damage, prevent tooth loss, and to improve dental appearance.
Dental crowns are custom-made, and the procedure typically requires at least two dental visits. During the first dental visit, the tooth is prepared, any decay is removed, the tooth is cleaned, and the gums are prepared. Next, an impression is taken of the tooth. The impression is then sent to a dental lab for the porcelain crown to be custom-crafted. A temporary crown will be placed while waiting for the custom crown to be completed. Once the porcelain crown is ready, a second dental visit will be required to fit the personalized crown and cement it into place.
Conditions Treated with Porcelain Crowns
Porcelain crowns are useful for repairing many types of dental damage and cosmetic conditions. Conditions that can be treated with porcelain crowns include:
- Teeth with large fillings: Large fillings can leave the tooth walls weakened and vulnerable to breakage. Porcelain crowns can prevent teeth with large fillings from breaking or cracking.
- Cracked, broken teeth: Broken or cracked teeth, whether from decay or injury, can require dental extraction if not treated. Fortunately, in many cases, porcelain crowns can be used to restore fractured teeth and save them from extraction.
- Major dental decay: For those with major dental decay, porcelain crowns can be used to restore dental health, appearance, and strength.
- Irregularly shaped teeth: Cosmetic issues like irregularly shaped teeth can be corrected with porcelain crowns.
- Dental implant treatment: Dental implants can be paired with porcelain crowns to individually restore missing teeth.
The Benefits of Porcelain Crowns
Porcelain crowns can treat a wide range of dental conditions, which, of course, means there are many benefits to this restorative treatment. Some of the many benefits of porcelain crowns treatment include:
- Improved dental function: Trying to eat with a broken tooth can be painful and lead to malocclusion. Porcelain crowns cover broken teeth to restore dental function and allow for ease and comfort during eating.
- Restored dental strength: Decayed teeth or teeth weakened by large fillings are vulnerable to further damage. Porcelain crowns offer protection to damaged teeth, restoring dental strength and function.
- Tooth preservation: Porcelain crowns can help protect the teeth from requiring extraction or from suffering further damage.
- Improved aesthetics: Porcelain crowns improve overall aesthetics by masking decay, fractures, or misshaped teeth.
- Improved oral health: Overall oral health can be improved with porcelain crowns by protecting teeth from further decay.
- Increased confidence: Porcelain crowns restore dental appearance, hiding flaws and decay, which in turn helps increase confidence.
Schedule a Consultation
Find out if porcelain crowns are right for you. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Walkington.